Matthew 5:16

Matthew 5:16

Saturday, February 9, 2013

With Food and Clothing, Let Us Be Content.





Greetings and Salutations,


 Earlier at the beginning of this year I have experienced some certain
financial hardships and the company where I am employed, Brinks,
has changed from a weekly to bi-weekly pay period, so things have
been a bit tight as of now. Of course I am still thankful to be employed
and have food, clothing and shelter which are the basic necessities and
right now that is all that's important as far as possessions go.
 I have been eating both lunch and dinner where I work, lunch during
the noon lunchbreak and then when I get off work before heading to
the gym. I purchase food that can be microwaved and has in fact
been on the menu since last month.  I have been buying at Family Dollar
mostly with the exception of certain food items such as meat and fresh
vegetables. I buy enough to last me two weeks and praise the Lord
have been keeping it under fifty dollars.  God is good!

 The key word for this post is contentment.  The contentment I am
talking about can be found in the New Testament book of 1 Timothy
6:6-8 which reads like this:

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought
nothing into this world and we will take nothing out of it. But if
we have food and clothing we will be content with that."  (NIV)


The word contentment popped into my mind when faced with these
struggles with money. While it has been a chore sitting down to
re-work my finances and budget, I also find that I can still be content
with what I can still purchase and with what I already have. I guess
the overall thing I am going through is a lesson in contentment.
 I end with this scripture verse from Luke 3:14, Phillipians 4:11-12,
and Hebrews 13:5:

"Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely and
be content with your wages."    (Luke 3:14)

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
I know what it is to be in need and I know what it is to have
plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and
every situation, whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in
plenty or in want."     (Phillipians 4:11-12)

"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content
with what you have."     (Hebrews 13:5)


Have a blessed day. 

No comments: