Matthew 5:16

Matthew 5:16

Friday, February 8, 2013

Wrath on the Road: How I Overcame.





Greetings,

 My place of employment takes me to the Queensgate area
of Cincinnati, which is in the southwest corner of the downtown
Cincinnati area, and I take Interstate 75 to get there, save for
heavy rainy or snowy weather in which I take the alternate
route through Vine Street, Spring Grove Ave. and then
Dalton Street.  I-75 scares me plenty on rainy or snowy days
as some if not most other motorists drive as if it's clear sailing
which I think is very foolish on wet or icy roads, and accidents
on I-75 are frequent enough as it is.
 But even on normal days the early morning commute frequently
gets intense, especially around 7am. Come to think of it, so do
I. Worse yet, I get a little too intense, more so than the traffic
in fact.  Not a good way to behave. It seems it's always on the
road that I'm not at my best tempermentally speaking, if I don't
count some of the intense moments at work as well because
there I get out from behind the wheel of my car and get in 
behind the wheel of a forklift truck.  Mind you, I don't drive
recklessly in either my car or the forklift but inwardly I
can burn with wrath if someone blocks me, cuts in front of
me, tailgates me, or if they're in front of me, I perceive they are
going too slow.  It's almost like if my car had weapons, I would
take them out. OOH. Commiting murder in my heart.  Not a 
good characteristic for a Christian, in fact, it's conduct unbecoming.
Now while no one else may see my anger, God does, and He 
knows the innermost thoughts of the heart. Something needs to be
done here, yes?
 Well part of the solution was to leave earlier than usual to avoid
the 7am rush hour which has helped, but this attitude issue I knew
is what really needs to be addressed here.   

 Part of my prayers when I start the day was always to ask the
Lord every morning to grant me safe, traveling mercies when I
head to work and then home and anywhere else I may go that
day. Gradually  when other motorists got careless around me
in whatever they did that could've endagered me and yet didn't
I thank the Lord that there was no accident involved in regard
to the other motorists' recklessness.  In short I count my bless-
-ings.  I have made it more of a habit each day to do that and
to realize each  that I went to work in one piece and that I
came home likewise. The solutions were allowing God as
the driver, and me the co-driver, and to count the small 
blessings of not getting into accidents whether they had the 
potential to be my fault or that of others.  Besides, it's all so
petty anyway.  Those times other motorists could have
done me harm, or even I to them, God has kept His
hand on me (and the other motorists, too) and kept me
from harm, so why not count my blessings, and yes, why
get angry. Here I still am, and I thank you , Lord, amen!


Have a blessed day.  

No comments: