Matthew 5:16

Matthew 5:16

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I'm Blessed to Have Found a Church to Call Home.

Greetings,

Only the Lord could do this, and that was to lead to a church which
preached and taught right out of the Bible and went by it accordingly.
I thought I was going to have a long search ahead of me when I moved
here to Cincinnati from Portsmouth, Ohio in November of 2003.
 I had tried out many churches but none seemed to have what I was
looking for.  Now it wasn't that I was looking for a church where my
needs could be met; if it truly preached the word of God and the
congregation showed unconditional love to strangers, that was all I
needed.

 I 'm not saying the churches I went to during my search period
didn't make me feel welcome, they did, I just didn't feel the spirit
in them. While I was living with family (parents) it was a lonely
time. I felt lonely because even though I was with family I was the
only Christian among unsaved family.  That lonliness became more
apparent when I started browsing the cards that were given to me
by the folks of my old church in Portsmouth and the lonliness
actually became homesickness.  I was home yet I was homesick.
It was a tough transition.  I lived in Portsmouth longer than I lived
anyplace else and the last ten years there were as a born-again
Christian.


Well it came to pass that as I was making deliveries for a plumbing
supply company I worked for then, I passed this church as I was
coming back from a delivery in Hamilton, Ohio that was on the
way. I got a look at the sign which was near the road which
read:  Valley Chapel Community Church.  The part below the
title was what got my interest. It read; Non-denominational,
Bible-Teaching.
 I looked from the sign and then to the church itself and noticed
the classic appearance of the white building with its gray steeple
and enclosed belfry. I thought to myself, This must have once
been a small country church. It actually was, as I would find out
later.
 Anyway the Sunday following the week I discovered Valley
Chapel, I would visit this church for the first time.

 As near as I can remember, I think I arrived there while Sunday
School was still in session, because I don't recall seeing anybody
when I first got there.  I don't remember whether it was the pastor
I first met or the other gentleman whom I made mention of in my
previous post.
 Either way, I guess it doesn't make much difference because I did
meet both of them that day, and they both made me feel welcome
and at home to, I might add. While I was not immediately sold on
the church nor did I make a decision to join right then and there, I
did feel the need to come back, because I did feel a spirit there and
something in the pastor's preaching, that made me check out this
church further.
 This church was not charismatic like my last church yet there was this
desire to come back because, well, for lack of a better word, different.
Valley Chapel was indeed different from the other churches I visited so
I had something to compare it to, but there was something else, and this
is what I believe it is. I have found a church which, I could say, stands out.
Stands out in what way, you might ask? Let's say for starters, I was among
genuine, spirit-filled people who were genuinely happy in the Lord.  Let's
say there wasn't this hypocritical, phony front some people put on, be it in
church or out. Words to describe it escape me, so I'll go with what I just
said.  Contentment, maybe?


 Well, after many return visits and attending a Christmas fellowship dinner
I chose Valley Chapel as my place of worship.  I also noticed they didn't
have a greeter and I told them that I used to greet at my old church. So
I became a member in early 2004 and then began my duties as church
greeter sometime after that.  There were times when I thought maybe the
Lord lead me to this church so I could be greeter, of course it's only a
thought.  Well, whether the Lord lead me here for that reason or not, I
found myself settling in to the duties rather quickly, much to the delight
of the congregation. Remembering names would be my biggest challenge
but it was also an important part as well.

 What has really brought me joy in my years as greeter of Valley Chapel
was seing the children who attended grow. I don't feel I have been there
that long and WOW! Most of the kids have graduated high school and others
are now coming of that age. Man, makes me feel old.  And I'm not even a
parent myself.  But seriously, I believe its a privilege to watch them each Sunday
grow.  I even got the blessing of seeing a few children when they were born.
While not my own children, just watching them is a gift in itself and one I feel
is a blessing from God.

As greeter, I have seen folks come and go, some for good reasons, some not so
good, have seen changes, one very recently, though I can't say it was a great
experience. I had the privilege of greeting special guests, our missionaries on
their return visits, seen one couple get married at our church, greeted friends
and relatives of members, and recently got to welcome back two young
ladies that were away overseas. Only God can give me such a gift.

 Folks, greetings and welcome to Valley Chapel! Come and worship with us
and enjoy great fellowship!  God bless!






No comments: