Matthew 5:16

Matthew 5:16

Friday, August 10, 2012

The World is not My Home.



Greetings,


Two year ago I decided after my last visit to a mall that I
would not visit, browse or shop in malls anymore. I found
that it was vanity and served me no purpose as I have no
need of things mall shops have. The fancy items mall shops
have do not appeal to a common, modest, ordinary man
as myself as I prefer the quiet, unglamorous life. In fact
I can safely say that going to the mall was a voyage into
alien territory. I feel more at home shopping for necessities
at Family Dollar or Dollar General and as far as buying
something I want, the only brick-and-mortar store I
go to is Hobby Lobby. And if it doesn't have what I am
looking for I buy online.

The world and all of its glamour and fashion hype simply
does not turn me on. It is why I do not watch TV anymore.
I only use my TV to watch my favorite DVDs and there will
come a time when I will do away with the TV set and watch
DVDs on my computer. Time to get rid of things I don't need
and simplify.

I am a man who is content with his wages (Luke 3:14) and
in all things I am content (Phillipians 4:11) and have no need to
"keep up with the Joneses." It has been said, "You can't take
it with you." How true that is!


I admit I never was a very ambitious man when I was much
younger and I paid dearly for that. But since converting to
Christianity in 1993 I began to take another look at my
present state. I had the things necessary to survive in this
life and even did things I liked. I lived in a mobile home which
I payed on a modest income, and did the same with a car.
I paid my bills on time, I cooked my own meals, did my own
laundry, my trailer kept me warm in the winter and cool in the
summer, and I even enjoyed my hobby of model car building
which I still do to this very day. All of that was done while
employed at a hospital as a laundry truck driver and later a
supply delivery driver. Did not God say that if a man didn't
work, neither shall he eat? I worked, so I ate. And quite
well, I might add.



Well, here I am now employed as a forklift operator in
the coin vault of a well-known armored transport company
and living in a spartan, one-bedroom apartment and doing
the things I enjoy and now add storyblogging to the picture
with my other blog Newberry. I don't need a lot of glamour
or unusual events to be happy. The world is not my home so
I don't need to buy into the world's idea of what it means to
be happy. I used to be that way and there are times today
I still struggle with that. But I see how God has provided
and it was from Him all along.


Yeah, what would it profit me, if I gain the whole world and
lose my own soul? The fashion of this world does indeed pass
away. (Luke 9:25) (1 Corinthians 7:31)


Have a blessed day,



 

No comments: