Matthew 5:16

Matthew 5:16

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Made in the USA: I support American-made Model Kit Manufacturers.












Greetings,

 As of recent I purchased a few 1/32 scale automotive
model kits at a local bargain outlet called Ollie's and
one from Hobbytown USA.  The one shown in the
picture is a 1949 Ford Tudor coupe.
 Now when I saw the American flag on the boxes of
these kits that gave me hope for the USA as still being
a country that can produce things.  I only wish I could
see more real cars being built in America rather than
across our borders to the north and south.
 I realize by buying American-made products that I am
not only supporting the company but the workers who
do the work in making them. And I can think of no better
way to do it than with my hobby.
 There are other American kit manufacturers here in the USA
however, their products once produced here in the US are now
made in China.  One particular brand(s) AMT/MPC, which were
taken over by a company called Round 2, has shipped the tooling
for their products over to China. As much as I love the AMT/MPC
brand of hobby kits, I sometimes wonder if I am being a disgrace
to all those workers who got laid off when Round 2 shipped their
operations overseas. 
 I think I can see now why I see the encouragement from some
patriotic groups to 'Buy American.'  To support American workers
rather than the corporations that employ them.
 Now I am not against corporations in general but I am against those
American corporations that sell their workers out so as if you buy
their products; you support that greedy corporation only rather
than the workers that were once employed by them. These
companies have sold America out.  The corporate elite do
not care about the plight of America because they are global and
their pockets get lined regardless of where an item is made.
 I just hope no other kit manufacturer offshores their production
operations because I may have to stop buying their products which
could mean the end of my hobby.
 The thing is, most items made overseas are everyday items we need,
and you, me and the rest of us are supporting greedy corporations
whether we like it to or not and whether we want to or not.
 Well, hobby kits aren't considered a basic necessity so that can be
sacrificed with no loss.  (Though I'm not thrilled at the idea) But while
I still can, I will support the workers of American-made kits along with
any other item that carries the American flag such as the kit in the pic
does.


Have a blessed day.

No comments: